10 Things Chronic Pain Taught Me
Updated: Oct 24, 2019
Being able to say that I am a Holistic Wellness Coach is a huge deal to me for a couple of reasons. The first being that I have the blessing to help others change their lives, but the second is because each time I say it, I am reminded of just how far my own wellbeing has come.
I wrote a bit about my story in the Path That Brought Me Here, so I won't go into it too far here. But on my 16th birthday, I was in a car accident that injured my spine at the base of my neck. I already dealt with chronic migraines from around the age of 12, but after this injury I was in debilitating pain nearly each and every day. I had to leave my high school to do an alternative home schooling program that would be more flexible for the days when I was in extreme pain, and even that was a struggle. I was spending days alone in my dark room to brace the intense head pain and spent most of my time sleeping. By the time I was 17, I was dealing with depression and suicidal thoughts.
Through a 6 year journey of being in and out of the ER with side effects from medications, seeing specialists after specialists who couldn't give me answers, and my neurologists telling me that they're at a loss- I eventually decided I was going to do things WAY differently.
I went the holistic route and watched my entire life transform. My migraines are a thing of the past and my mental health has been as clear as it's EVER been. (Wow, it still amazes me that I can say that!) Now that I'm on the other side of that part of my life, I am able to look back and truly see all the things that journey taught me. Here's a few lessons I learned from my chronic pain-
1. Have faith, it doesn't matter what it is- just believe in something
2. Be grateful, for everything. Even the moments you wish would have never come, they're here for one reason or another.
3. Nature heals, spend time with Mother all that you can
4. Don't look at the forecast, if it rains it rains- cease the day
5. Laugh loud and often, stay cheesin for noooooo reason!
6. The things that are important to you may not be important to others, everyone's values are completely different.
7. Some people just won't understand what you're going through, and it's okay to live a life not everyone understands.
8. Some people will TOTALLY understand what you're going through, these connections are priceless.
9. Love your vessel, it's pumping blood, oxygen, LIFE through your body so you can sit back and BE
10. Rejoice in the days of bliss and in the messiness of life, the ups and downs is what makes this existence so VIVID
I honestly had a tough time narrowing it down to only 10 lessons, over 6 years I think I learned enough for a whole lifetime. But the growth just doesn't stop, there's always more to be taught through each experience.
If you're looking to take control over your health & happiness by taking a holistic approach, consider joining myself & my group of beautiful women on a similar path as we take on the Autumn Alignment Challenge.
In this 2-week online group activity, we'll take small steps each day towards restoring balance & harmony in our lives so that we can easily achieve our beautiful life's goals!
Does this resonate with you? Click here to set up a time to chat!
Stay (vegan) Cheesin' For No Reason
#happilyhannah #foodforthought #mystory #chronicpain #spineinjury #lessons #worldismyclassroom #spirituality #lifelessons #thirdeyethirst #oneness #openyourmindandheart #lovemore #morelove